Monday 4 June 2007

"I love LA....We love it!"

Long and tedious flight sitting next to a man who insisted on coughing into his handkerchief and then examining the contents. In the row in front a young couple fuelled on fizzy drinks fidgited and moved their seat backs several times an hour. Eyes red with watching films and old tv comedy...."Cheers" had some good lines, but "Wings"? That was never funny! Immigration wasn't nearly as long and tedious asI expected then out of the airport to the tender mercies of Isaac the Latvian cabbie who took me to the hotel although he did have some trouble finding it. He called the despatcher via the 2 way radio and got directions that way. He said he was able to do that as he knew English. A mate of his didn't speak a word and so was always getting lost...so much for "the knowledge". Now trying to get my borrowed US pay as you go phone working. Everyone I talk to is achingly polite using my first name more times than a football manager mentions the name of his interviewer..."Gary" however I can do the credit card thing until it comes to a lack of "zip code" at that point it all falls apart. Think I may give up for today....those 17 episodes of "Cheers" have given me an idea...


www.bbc.co.uk/radio2