Tuesday 3 July 2007

"I'm a travellin' man..."

I said I would pull together a few statistics for you about my 4 week trip across the U.S:

I travelled 5247 miles in total by car, plus a few extra by cab and ferry.

Total fuel cost $503.70 which by my reckoning, taking £1 to equal $1.95, makes it a barely believable £258.31. I don't think I have lost any receipts, though I may have to recheck this against my next bank statement.

During my journey a travelled through or visited 17 states:

California

Nevada

Arizona

Utah

Colorado

Kansas

Missouri

Arkansas

Illinois

Tennessee

Kentucky

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Delaware

New Jersey

New York.

During the 5,247 miles all but approximately 25 miles was with the roof off the car.


It rained no more than 3 times during the whole journey and the temperature never dropped below 85f during the day. Highest was 107f in Death Valley.


In order to win the contents of the above picture, go through the blog and jot down at least 5 song titles that are either used as titles for a days travel, or in many cases I have used part of a lyric from a song; if so tell me the title.

You could be a winner on the show this Friday! Good luck.


Please note: this competition is now closed.


www.bbc.co.uk/radio2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alex
Wish that I could enter the competition if only to win the "Grow a Nerd" thing. Sadly I am in the Costa Tropical in southern Spain, and suffering the sun and beer to a horrible extent.
I am looking forward to being back in the truck next week, and tuning in to your show.
Have enjoyed your blog very much though! What next? Seattle to Miami perhaps?
Cheers

Les Batt

Anonymous said...

Oh Dark Lord
Good to have you back at the controls, normal nonsense is resumed!
Now you've got the whole travel thing of your chest I trust that no future plans are being made for any more time off, after all its our licence fee that payed for it (even if you did work (ha!) to earn the wages)
Thanks for the blog.

Alan the AA Man.

Anonymous said...

> 5247 miles in total by car

> Total fuel cost $503.70

Assume two average costs: $2.50 a gallon, and $3.00 a gallon (higher is possible, but...lower will do)...

At $2.50 a gallon, that's 202 gallons, or 26 miles per gallon

at $3 a gallon, that's 168 gallons, or 31 miles per gallon.

So, you probably haven't lost any receipts. :)